Sunday, September 25, 2011

Introduction


Welcome. 
J. Frank Dobie, a great writer and a great Texan, engraved an inscription on a mantelpiece in his home that reads:
“Here we sit with the world’s greatest philosopher – the fire”

I started this blog at the suggestion of a close friend and mentor. She thought it would be a good idea to share what, upon reflection, has been a pretty incredible 46 year ride.  As I have lived a mostly private life by choice or dysfunction, I somewhat reluctantly take this first step down the path of being known.
2011 has been a year of great reflection, or I should say greater reflection because I have been pretty self-reflected for as long as I can remember.  Perhaps it’s the current recession/depression, parenthood, husbandry or the too many other interests, hobbies and duties that I find myself bound to on a daily basis.  In any event, what started out as a moderate case of the winter blues morphed into a nearly all-consuming demand for answers I thought long since answered.  My cauldron is cooking and I’m as curious as the rest of the onlookers as to what we are making.  I find being adrift a very strange and unfamiliar place, but I can be both excited and amused in the moments I succeed in checking my anxiety sufficiently to detach and observe the stew.
So where to start?  I’ll go back to welcome.  Pull up a chair and let’s chat by the fire.  I have lots I’d like to share with you.
Regards, Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment